To register your child for a school they must have a transfer and a current report card. The registration must be done by the parent or a legal guardian (guardianship papers must be presented at the time of registration). The parent or legal guardian must have a valid photo ID present at the time of registration. Birth certificates completed physicals (must be signed and stamped by MD), and immunization (shot) records are mandatory. All persons registering children must bring three (3) proofs of residency.
Proof of Residency List
Verification of a child’s residency in East Orange requires the presentation of:
Any three (3) of the following items listed:
- Homeowner — East Orange property tax bill, mortgage statement, or signed Contract of Purchase
- Tenant – Active lease (must be notarized)
- Child and Parent living with an East Orange Resident — Signed, notarized Sworn Statement of Residency (Residency Check Form) completed by the East Orange resident and parent or guardian (MUST BE PICKED UP FROM THE ENROLLMENT CENTER – 135 Glenwood Avenue) (PLEASE BE ADVISED AN ATTENDANCE OFFICER WILL VISIT THE HOME TO VERIFY YOUR RESIDENCY)
- Child Placed in East Orange by Court – Court order placing a child in the home of an East Orange resident
- Child Placed in East Orange by Child Welfare Agency — Documentation from a child welfare agency ordering the placement of a child in the house of an East Orange resident or Foster Parent Placement Letter
- Driver’s License
- Vehicle registration
- Auto insurance card
- Current utility bill
- Current cable television bill
- Current credit card bill
- Hospital/Medical bills
- Official mail (government correspondence: Internal Revenue, Division of Taxation, Social Security Administration)
- Public assistance documents
- Unemployment benefit verification
- Income tax return (current year received thru the mail)
- Bank statement
- Recent paycheck/stub
- Postal Change of Address
For grades 1 thru 5, your child must have a current record of immunization (shot) records that are age-appropriate along with a current physical (must be signed and stamped by MD). These shots are required and are without exception:
- DTaP series (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis): A minimum of four (4) doses is required provided one dose is given on or after the 4th birthday.
- Polio series: A minimum of three (3) doses is required provided one dose is given on or after the 4th birthday.
- MMR series (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): Two (2) doses of Measles, One (1) dose of Mumps and Rubella, or two (2) MMR series.
- 3 doses Hepatitis B series, appropriately spaced.
- 1 dose Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- TB testing is required for foreign-born students from select countries
If your child has been accepted to a Charter School please return to the website and download the Charter School Registration Packet.
If your child has an active/current IEP you must contact the Special Education Department for registration requirements at (973) 266-5785.