To register your child for a school they must have a transfer and a current report card. The registration must be done by the parent or a legal guardian (guardianship papers must be presented at the time of registration). The parent or legal guardian must have a valid photo ID present at the time of registration. Birth certificates and immunization (shot) records are mandatory. A current physical is required (must be signed and stamped by MD). All persons registering children must bring three (3) proofs of residency.
Proof of Residency List
Verification of a child’s residency in East Orange requires the presentation of:
Any three (3) of the following items listed:
- Homeowner — East Orange property tax bill, mortgage statement, or signed Contract of Purchase
- Tenant – Active lease (must be notarized)
- Child and Parent living with an East Orange Resident — Signed, notarized Sworn Statement of Residency (Residency Check Form) completed by the East Orange resident and parent or guardian (MUST BE PICKED UP FROM THE ENROLLMENT CENTER – 135 Glenwood Avenue) (PLEASE BE ADVISED AN ATTENDANCE OFFICER WILL VISIT THE HOME TO VERIFY YOUR RESIDENCY)
- Child Placed in East Orange by Court – Court order placing a child in the home of an East Orange resident
- Child Placed in East Orange by Child Welfare Agency — Documentation from a child welfare agency ordering the placement of a child in the house of an East Orange resident or Foster Parent Placement Letter
- Driver’s License
- Vehicle registration
- Auto insurance card
- Current utility bill
- Current cable television bill
- Current credit card bill
- Hospital/Medical bills
- Official mail (government correspondence: Internal Revenue, Division of Taxation, Social Security Administration)
- Public assistance documents
- Unemployment benefit verification
- Income tax return (current year received thru the mail)
- Bank statement
- Recent paycheck/stub
- Postal Change of Address
For grades 6 thru 8, your child must have a current physical (must be signed and stamped by MD), and a record of immunization (shot) records that are age-appropriate. These shots are required and are without exception:
- DTaP series (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis): A minimum of four (4) doses is required provided one dose is given on or after the 4th birthday
- Polio series: A minimum of three (3) doses is required provided one dose is given on or after the 4th birthday
- MMR series (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): Two (2) doses of Measles, One (1) dose of Mumps and Rubella or two (2) MMR series
- 3 doses Hepatitis B series, appropriately spaced.
- 1 dose Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- TB testing is required for foreign-born students from select countries
- Tdap Booster Meningococcal Vaccination
If your child has auditioned for a Performing Arts school or applied to STEM Academy, you must bring the Acceptance Letter.
If your child has been accepted to a Charter School please return to the website and download the Charter School Registration Packet.
If your child has an active/current IEP you must contact the Special Education Department for registration requirements at (973) 266-5785.